Make an investment in your future—and graduate as a career-ready professional. Guided by our commitment to empowering individuals from underrepresented backgrounds, Liberty Mutual Discovery Programs connect you with mentors, introduce you to a wide range of careers and help you develop your professional identity.
In these focused and empowering programs, you’ll meet with Liberty leaders at the highest levels, receive personal career guidance and connect with peers from other universities. Better still, some Discovery Programs offer invaluable incentives, such as internship opportunities, scholarships, all-expense paid trips to Liberty’s headquarters in Boston and more.
If you’re an undergraduate student, Liberty’s Discovery Programs can help you acquire the skills, knowledge and contacts you need to get a jumpstart on your career and excel in today’s hyper-competitive economy. Programs include:
Specifically for first- and second-year students enrolled in Historically Black Colleges and Universities, HBCU Unite is a year-long professional development program that helps students lay the groundwork for their future careers.
In this dynamic program, you’ll:
- Participate in monthly professional development workshops aimed at building personal strengths, improving interviewing skills, developing a growth mindset and more.
- Join a Mentorship Circle led by Campus Recruiters who can help guide you through your job search.
- Explore summer internship opportunities on our actuarial science, analytics, claims, finance, technology and underwriting teams.
- Network and socialize with your peers from other HBCUs.
- Have a chance to earn the LEADA@Liberty Unite Scholarship (Liberty Employees of African Descent and Allies), which can be applied to your college tuition.
Applications open: mid-January
Women in Technology Summit
Bringing together highly ambitious first- and second-year students pursuing careers in technology, the Women in Technology Summit is a two-day program centered on themes of empowerment, motivation and celebration. Participating students that identify as female or non-binary develop professional skills, learn more about opportunities for professionals in technology and secure interviews for a Liberty Mutual internship.
In this eye-opening program, you’ll:
- Participate in workshops and activities to help you harness your strengths, empower you to use your voice, and enhance your leadership skills.
- Be matched with a Liberty Women in Tech mentor, including male allies, who will be a resource for you after the Summit throughout your fall semester.
- Network with an accomplished group of professionals, including Liberty Women in Technology members, who share their career journeys and offer advice.
- Attend panels and networking sessions where you can explore the wide range of professional options at Liberty.
- Be among the first to interview for our TechStart and Tech Support summer internship programs.
Applications open: late January
Student Diversity Symposium
Over the course of two half-days, the Student Diversity Symposium (SDS) focuses on career exploration and issues of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace—with the goal of helping undergraduate students build their professional networks and prepare for summer internship interviews at Liberty.
In this highly engaging program, you’ll:
- Identify your core strengths by using industry-standard professional assessment tools.
- Complete a job shadow and a mini case competition within the area of insurance that interests you the most.
- Participate in group discussions that explore key diversity, equity and inclusion topics.
- Build connections with recruiters and Liberty leaders through interactive sessions.
- Gain access to a virtual inter-collegiate network of peers.
- Gain access to a virtual inter-collegiate network of peers.
- Guarantee yourself an interview for a Liberty summer internship.
Applications open: mid-August
Liberty’s EXCEL program is an exclusive opportunity for Howard University and Florida A&M undergraduates to learn more about today’s dynamic insurance industry, connect and build relationships with Liberty leadership, travel to Boston to experience our company culture firsthand and much more. The goal? To provide Howard and Florida A&M students a path to professional success.
In this exciting educational program, you’ll:
- Explore every corner of the insurance industry—from underwriting to analytics to technology—during a five-week foundational knowledge course.
- Hear from Black leaders about careers at Liberty Mutual and connect with Black mentors, who will act as trusted advisors, both during the program and beyond.
- Receive scholarship money upon completion of the program and have the chance to continue earning through a business case study competition.
- Embark on an all-expenses paid trip to Boston, where you’ll tour our headquarters, meet with Liberty executives and get a chance to explore the city.
- Complete a paid summer internship at our company, where you’ll have the chance to apply the skills you acquired as an EXCEL Scholar.
Applications open: mid-August
In the insurance sector, there are countless opportunities waiting for candidates working toward advanced degrees. Our graduate Discovery Programs can help you get ahead of the competition by helping you gain the advanced skills and insights you need to excel. Programs include:
Liberty RISE Program
The Liberty RISE (Recognizing Inclusion in Successful Enterprise) program is designed to support first-year MBA and Masters students, specifically women and people of color, who have been given an offer to intern at Liberty by providing robust and meaningful mentoring and professional development opportunities that will enable them to become strong future leaders
With Liberty RISE, you’ll set yourself up for success during your internship and post-degree career when you:
- Connect with a Liberty Mutual mentor committed to providing one-on-one guidance, advice and support on everything from navigating business school, selecting classes, time management, effective networking and career exploration—throughout your first year of your program.
- Participate in professional development workshops focused on topics such as strategic thinking and problem solving, leveraging team differences, insurance 101, how to transition back to the workplace post-degree and much more.
- Network with other Liberty RISE members and alums in peer circles and virtual socials that promote relationship-building and bonding.
- Meet and cultivate connections with a variety of senior leaders and other Liberty employees from across the company to help build a network of advisors, sponsors and your very own “Board of Directors.”
Applications open: Those that complete the interview process for our summer internships and receive an offer will then be invited to join RISE. Internship job postings go live at the beginning of June.
MBA Women’s Leadership Invitational
Liberty’s Women’s Leadership Invitational gives first year MBA and Masters students the chance to feel fulfilled and empowered by diving deep into self-care techniques while making connections with other strong women and non-binary students from across the country.
During this exclusive two-day program, you will:
- Participate in interactive workshops that focus on creating and managing boundaries, defining self-care, and other topics that promote professional and personal satisfaction.
- Connect with women executives from Liberty as they share their career journeys and give advice on succeeding in corporate America.
- Be inspired by a motivational keynote speaker and have the opportunity to participate in a Q&A session.
- Build a professional network as you connect with MBA and Master students from other universities in group activities and social events.
- Explore Liberty’s summer internship opportunities by taking part in a speed networking activity.
Applications open: mid-September
My experience was game-changing. I acquired essential knowledge and was able to develop real confidence—it helped me realize that I’m more than capable of achieving my career goals.
Through this experience, I expanded my network of support and came away with valuable strategies to use in my college career and beyond. I feel ready to embark on my future as a woman in STEM.
Being a part of this experience was incredible. It was rewarding to hear from company leaders who helped me learn more about the industry, and connect with peers who share my passion for diversity, equity and inclusion.
I have gained so much knowledge about the insurance industry through the extensive curriculum and mentorship, and I’ve been able to sharpen my creativity, problem-solving and teamwork skills. It’s been an eye-opening experience.
I am very fortunate to have been part of Liberty RISE—the professional development and mentoring have been tremendous for my first year of graduate school.
Attending this event was refreshing and a much-needed 'reset,' while balancing our respective MBA programs.